EDUC336 – Inclusive Education, was a 6 week condensed course over the summer that was focused on how we as educators can make our classroom environment and curriculum development inclusive of all students. Specifically we looked at theoretical and real-life examples of techniques and strategies that could be used to accommodate students with exceptionalities. Most classes consisted of discussion of readings and talking about possible solutions to case studies. As part of our work, we had to develop a lesson plan with a student in mind with an exceptionality, as well as work on a case-study with a partner to present to the class. This provided a robust overview and the opportunity to do a deep dive on multiple workable problems.

For my lesson plan, I focused on a student with dysgraphia, and it was an eye-opening experience. I used a lesson plan I had made for my Science 8 practicum, and modified it as best I could to suit. I first tried to think of accommodations by myself and came up with a few, but with the things we learned in class as well as support from the class text I was able to have a whole suite of changes that – crucially – created a lesson in which all the same learning goals could be reached by all students. For example, different forms of assessment that are accessible to a student with dysgraphia, which are also available to all other students. This not only allows the student with an exceptionality to meet the same goals, but it prevents them from feeling “othered” because all students can do that form of assessment.

My case study was on a student suspected to be living with FASD, and an educator trying to deal with the situation of what to do next. This was a particularly relevant study because it took place in a rural environment, much like the one I grew up in. I felt connected to the study and my one takeaway from it is that there isn’t really one way forward. I had to make so many assumptions when working on the case study but the sheer number of variables involved make it impossible to say “this is the way”. The following is a slide from our case study presentation describing pros/cons of some of the actions an educator could take in this situation. Names are placeholders here, and the list is not even close to exhaustive, but these are just some factors to think about when it comes to considering the case: