Educators demonstrate a broad knowledge base and an understanding of areas they teach.

In my most recent practicum I taught multiple blocks of Science 10, and covered the entirety of the Chemistry section as well as some of the Physics. My specialty is Biology, so having the opportunity to delve into other subjects was a good experience for myself. While I had access to the textbook (BC Science Connections 10) and all the slide decks to teach from that text, I spent countless hours making my own slides and note packages to better suit the needs of myself and the students. I incorporated memes and other references to pop culture to use as analogies and representations of concepts, and did extra reading and studying to ensure that I was up to snuff on not just content but skills required for the class. I spent hours in the lab prep room, troubleshooting demos and labs so that they would go off without a hitch in the classroom. 

Here are a couple of slides from our notes on reaction types:

Believe it or not, Spongebob is still as relevant as ever when it comes to making references. The meme in the first slide actually opened up a bigger discussion about lab safety in which I talked about the practice of mouth pipetting and how some scientists today still do it because that’s how they were taught. We then talked about the dangers of mouth pipetting and why it would ever have been something considered in the first place. What was initially intended to be a funny connection to the concept of acids and bases turned into an even greater learning experience for the whole class. This also got students involved who normally would not be as interested (scientists sucking up poisonous or diseased fluids into a small cylinder is enough to grab almost anyone’s attention). Understanding the content and skills you are covering is important, but you also need to have a broad knowledge base that allows you to have these kinds of conversations that keep students engaged and interested. Not just in science, but in every sphere.